Sunday 11 April 2010

Greetings

Well howdy.

I'd like to say this ain't my first time at the rodeo, but actually it is. I just thought perhaps that keeping a blog might be a useful way to pass time. And to disseminate some of my genius for eccentrities.

So, this first post will centre on the title of my blog 'La Gingold'. To the uninitiated, this title refers to one of the greatest theatrical ladies who ever lived, namely Hermione Gingold. She was an English actress who undertook mostly stage work and revue, but made a successful transition to film and later to television. Sadly, she is mostly forgotten these days (apart from in specific circles, and those with great taste and an appreciation for the eccentric and camp-tastic).

And that I suppose is a main reason for thinking she is fabulousness personified. She was beyond over-the-top and larger than life, and isn't that what we all crave? Well, I certainly do. She would be my ideal dinner party guest. Imagine a night with Hermione getting tipsy on absinthe, noshing on steak tartare and arctic roll in her company. Add Noel Coward as an extra guest and I'd be in seventh heaven!

Here are a couple of illustrations of why La Gingold really is Queen of all which she surveys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPrCS-Mjk4g

THAT VOICE! Like sandpaper on silk. Incredible. And not entirely sure what that noise is at the end, but I have been attempting to perfect it and have failed miserably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMnDgqe-P0s

What class and savoir faire.

A role model to us all.

Salut La Gingold!

No comments:

Post a Comment