Saturday 5 June 2010

The Beauty of Accomplished Acting

Malice has recently been taken with the superlative talents of a favourite British actress, Patricia Routledge, who sadly is probably only remembered today for her role as Hyacinth Bucket in the sitcom 'Keeping Up Appearances'.

It may surprise people to learn that Patricia started her career in musical theatre and won the Tony for best actress in a musical for her starring role in 'Darling of the Day' - a little known Jule Styne masterpiece, which only ran for 32 performances on Broadway.

Anyhoo, Malice recently found some very astute and moving quotes from Patricia which really resonated with me:

"I'm quite at home with the thought of death, but one has to learn the secret of living for the present. You have to, in order to live fully."

"I didn't make a decision not to be married and not to be a mother - life just turned out like that because my involvement in acting was so total. Now, I think it's a pity I didn't have children. But I'm not sure that you can have a career and a family and do both satisfactorily. I always knew, deep down, that everything has a cost and I would have hated to short-change any little soul that I brought into the world."

On losing love: "It was devastating. But we never possess anything or anybody - that's a great lesson to learn. People you have loved very much are part of you for always."

And my favourite quote about the true skill of comedic acting:

"There's enough tragedy about; it's more important to help people to laugh."

How very, very true.

We salute you Miss Routledge!



No comments:

Post a Comment